Wednesday 18 May 2011

A Good Congregation!

Deputy Lord Mayor’s Blog 42
I recently had the pleasure of offering a Civic welcome to representatives of the Congregational Assembly that took place in Birmingham. This is an extract from my speech:
‘First and foremost I would like to offer a warm welcome to the City of Birmingham and I hope that you have had, or will get a chance to see something of the city and its many cultural attractions either on this occasion or your next visit – which I hope will be soon! These of course include world class Ballet, Music and Theatre, our Cathedrals and Universities and much else including the Midlands Arts Centre.
I am delighted to have the opportunity to join you today for your 40th Annual Assembly with what seems to me to be an impressive level of attendance and a detectable vibrancy.
Birmingham is a city with thriving faith communities and inter-faith relationships are very good. We have worked at these in the light of the many opportunities presented and also the challenges that we face today.
We enter an age of austerity with all the difficulties that brings for individuals, families and organisations. We also live in times of change – too much of it in my view and too much of that ill-wrought. Constancy has great merit, and a better balance is needed. Thank you for all that you do in emphasising timeless values - we need them so much in society today.’
I went on to wish the Congregationalists a most successful Assembly – which indeed it was.

No comments: