Saturday 16 April 2011

Chimney Sweeps Show!

Deputy Lord Mayor's Blog 35
I recently had the pleasure of opening a rather unusual and very interesting event – the National Association of Chimney Sweeps trade show, held at the Ramada Hotel in Sutton Coldfield.
The organisers and exhibitors were a very lively group and there were interesting products on display including a new, very green, type of fuel – straw logs.

Of course, things have moved on a lot from the days of my childhood when my father (a plumber and solid fuel installer) let me have a go with his rods and brushes and showed me how to light a fire with a cold chimney.

Good maintenance is essential and reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from choked chimneys. The sweeps also help preserve important aspects of our architectural heritage – ornate chimneys - of which there are some very good examples in Birmingham and my home ward of Hall Green.

No comments: