Sunday 13 February 2011

The Civic Dimension

Deputy Lord Mayor’s Blog 27
It is a varied and interesting experience being one of the City Council’s ‘Civics’. As Deputy Lord Mayor I still get to cover quite a wide range of events including charities, schools, citizenships and welcoming visitors to Birmingham.
In Birmingham the practice is that you become Deputy LM the year after being Lord Mayor, so doing some of the rounds again brings me into contact with many people that I had the privilege of meeting during my own mayoral year.
I say ‘privilege’ and mean it as it struck myself and Vivienne early on that there are so many people making quiet contributions to the life of the city – often unsung and for a number of people not wishing to be sung.
It was also very clear that both people and organisations value the civic presence completely free of a political dimension and with no agenda to progress other than saying ‘thank you for all that you are doing’. I was pleased to have been able to introduce the Lord Mayor’s Award to this end.
I believe that it is very important in these challenging times that we retain, in fitting measure, the civic dimension of the multifarious activities and traditions of our great city.

No comments: