Tuesday 22 June 2010

Birmingham City University

Deputy Lord Mayor’s Blog 5
Today I am about to complete my term of office as Chancellor of Birmingham City University. This has been a most interesting and rewarding experience. BCU is a fine University of which the city can be truly proud with some outstanding courses and doing excellent scholarly work in key areas.
As Chancellor I presided at nine degree congregations at each of which as well as the graduating students, honorary graduands were awarded higher degrees. The photo shows myself and the Vice Chancellor with The Most Reverend Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster and previously Archbishop of Birmingham. The citation by the orator, Professor of English David Roberts and the response by Archbishop Nichols on the theme of The Common Good were amongst the best that I have heard.
As part of my more routine duties at the congregations, in receiving the graduating students I shook no fewer than 4,823 hands! A bucket of ice came in handy at the conclusion of the last congregation!
Altogether a very good year both for me and for the University and I hope that current issues notably with the suggested location of a High Speed rail terminal slap bang where a BCU campus expansion was to be will be resolved in a fair and equitable fashion. Birmingham needs its thriving Universities every bit as much as a quick trip to London!

No comments: