Thursday 27 May 2010

Last and First

Lord Mayor’s Blog 59
My term of office as Lord Mayor of Birmingham came to an end on Tuesday. It has been a most memorable year and an immense privilege for myself and Vivienne to be the first citizens of our great city of Birmingham.
I hope that this blog, for which this is the final entry relating to the Lord Mayoralty, will have given something of the flavour of what we have been involved with during the year.
We are immensely grateful for all of the support we’ve received from staff, family and friends who have helped us do our bit for Birmingham.
The first picture shows me at the desk in the Parlour writing a note to my successor minutes before going into the handover AGM. The desk incidentally was Chamberlain’s (both Joe and Neville) and it was always a special feeling to work there.
The second picture is from later that evening - now as Deputy Lord Mayor - being presented with a signed photo graph from one of our very first events during last year’s Lord Mayor’s Show when I sang (if you can call it singing!) with the Steve Gibbons Band at the end of the show. In the background, John Bright does not look altogether approving!
Well, all good things must come to an end and so it is with my year as Lord Mayor of Birmingham - a year that I shall never forget.

No comments: